Beer 2: Joker IPA

Hello!  

This is the second edition of a five-part Scottish craft beer blog, featuring the ‘Joker IPA’ from the William’s Brothers brewery, my personal all-time favourite, for a few reasons I’ll touch on later. If you missed the first blog post, check it out here. Also, stick around for the bonus video at the bottom. It's worth it!

Joker IPA Tesco
Joker IPA


A bit of back-story first. Alongside my studies I work part time in the beers, wines & spirits aisle in the local Tesco. This is good and not-so-good at the same time. Good because I love my beers and get to see all the latest varieties Tesco bring in. Not-so-good because after busting my ass for 7 hours straight in the same aisle, surrounded by quality beers, I’m absolutely dying for one. 

The brewhouse, situated in Alloa, Scotland, which was once regarded as ‘Scotland’s Beer Capital’, is one I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting, but it is definitely next on the list. They offer an extensive range of weird and wonderful looking beers from golden ales and IPAs to a Heather Ale and a 7% ‘Profanity Stout’, described as ‘Deeply Irreverent’. Definitely going to give that one a bash. 


Anyways, on to the tasting notes for the William’s Brothers’ best seller.

Joker IPA

Joker IPA
Joker IPA
Appearance: A yellow-gold colour.

Aroma: Bright, fresh citrus notes. Hops all round.

Taste: Fruity & bitter. I'm getting grapefruit and a hint of pine. The hops hit hard. Super tasty.

Comments: This beer is described as ‘wickedly hoppy’, and I can see why…

Rating: 3.2/5 on ratebeer.com - In my opinion this should be higher.

So why is it my favourite? Other than the fact it’s an amazing tasting and mega refreshing beer (especially after a night of hard graft in Tesco), it’s super affordable at £1.60 for a 500ml bottle (plus 10% staff discount, by the way). Many craft beers are extremely expensive for what they are. There’s one in Tesco right now at £2.50 for a 330ml can! I’m sure it’s delicious but as a poor student, I can’t justify spending that amount on a can the same size as a 60p Diet Coke.

Thanks again for checking out the blog! Please feel free to drop a message below if you have anything you want to add. Subscribe & keep an eye out for blog no. 3, which will be an October special! I’m not letting on any more than that. Can you guess what it is?

BEFORE YOU GO - *Bonus Video*

If you're a Scottish beer lover, check out this video from the Williams Bro's brewery. All the patriotic feels...




Comments