Beer 5: St Mungo lager

The fifth of five.

Welcome to the final beer blog for this series! If you haven't already, check out the other four HERE. I've enjoyed some absolutely cracking beers during writing these blogs and enjoyed every last drop! I still can't get over how I've been required to drink beer as part of a uni assignment. Best report ever.

All of the beers covered so far have been from Scottish Breweries, from Alloa to Aberdeen. This week's beer hails from the brewery closest to home. Situated on the scenic outskirts of Glasgow Green, the WEST brewery is something of an architectural dream. I've walked past many times, but yet to venture inside. That's the plans for next weekend sorted.


The WEST Brewery, Glasgow Green.
The WEST Brewery, Glasgow Green.

WEST's slogan is "Glaswegian heart. German Head." The brewery boasts a range of German-inspired beers from the Munich Red to the German Pale Ale. The catchphrase is encapsulated in their lager beer variety, 'St Mungo Lager', brewed in Glasgow in accordance with the German Purity Law of 1516 and named after the founder and patron saint of Glasgow, St Mungo. Believe it or not, that's the one I'm currently sipping...

West St Mungo Lager Bottle
West St Mungo Lager Bottle

Tasting notes

Appearance: Light golden-yellow.

Aroma: Strong barley scent.

Taste: Distinctive malty sweetness with a light hop undertone.

Comments: VERY refreshing, especially ice cold, but I'm afraid to say, pilsner-style lager just doesn't excite me very much.

Rating: A fairly average 2.8/5 on ratebeer.com

WEST St Mungo Draft
WEST St Mungo Draft


So a bit 'meh'. Not a bad beer by any means, just not overly exciting. Maybe that's just down to my personal preference. I visited Munich last month and let me tell you, there are some proper fresh, delicious beers on tap there. I'd rather the real deal.

Thanks for checking out the final blog of The Craft Beer Conversational, covering five of the best beers Scottish breweries have to offer. 

As always, please feel free to drop a comment and get a discussion going.

Until the next series...

Dan

Comments